It is important for any person to start the day with a timely meal, in which the balance of fats, proteins and carbohydrates is maintained.
But if a healthy breakfast is a recommendation for healthy people, then for a diabetic it is an urgent need, without which normal functioning of the body is impossible.From our article, you will learn how to properly organize your morning meal so that it does not raise sugar levels too high.
Depending on the type of diabetes – 1 or 2, the diet is adjusted, but in any case there are basic rules that are valid for both cases:
- Meals at least 5-6 times a day;
- Eating at the same time;
- The amount of energy received must coincide with its consumption;
- It is necessary to consider the amount of carbohydrates according to the system of bread units (XE), and the degree of increase in blood sugar is determined by the glycemic index (GI);
- Excludes all products that exceed the permissible values of XE and GI;
- Sugar is ALWAYS replaced with organic or artificial sweeteners.
If there is no excess body weight, type 1 diabetics can consume as many fats and proteins as a person without diabetes, since caloric intake does not increase sugar levels by itself.
Type 2 diabetics should refrain from fatty protein foods.
And that, and the other group, breakfast is shown without fail, since it helps in the morning to take and hold the desired sugar level throughout the day. It is in the morning meal that the maximum number of permissible bread units per day is 8 – 10. Based on the assumption that no more than 24 of them should be received on the day.
We offer you some simple breakfast recipes for type 1 and type 2 diabetics. However, remember that the use of any product in any combination must first be agreed with your doctor!
Type 1 Diabetic Breakfast, Sample Menu
In addition to the list of approved products for use, it is necessary to remember the timely administration of insulin and not to part with the glucometer.
- hard boiled eggs;
- diabetic bread;
- low-fat cheese;
- orange, lemon, sour berries (currants);
- tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, white cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower;
- dairy products with a low percentage of fat content;
- millet, hercules, buckwheat.
As you can see, the list of products is sufficient to prepare a delicious breakfast!
If there is no time to cook at all, you can limit yourself to making a sandwich from a special bread for diabetics with salted cottage cheese or butter and boiled egg spread on it.
Salad of tomatoes and cucumbers
This breakfast is suitable for a salad of chopped tomatoes with cucumbers seasoned with vegetable oil. It is better to prefer an unrefined version of sunflower, it is not only more fragrant, but, of course, much more useful.
Or, for example, with an acute lack of time, it is good to cook cucumber smoothie on kefir and cottage cheese.
To do this, take 100 g of low-fat cottage cheese, add 100 g of kefir and 100 g of water to it, cut fresh cucumber, salt and beat in a blender bowl into a homogeneous mass.
If desired, add ½ tsp chopped basil for flavor or ½ ripe peeled tomato. This will make smoothies more nutritious.
Buckwheat with cheese
If there is more time, then you can cook buckwheat with cheese on the water.
In a small bucket with a tablespoon of cereals, fill the finger with water, salt and cook until the liquid is completely absorbed. Add dried parsley, basil, garlic, 1 tsp vegetable oil and let it brew for 5 minutes under the lid. Then, finely chop 1 medium tomato, mix it in the porridge and sprinkle all 1 tablespoon of grated cheese.
It turns out not just a hearty and dietary breakfast, but also acceptable for a diabetic.
Curd souffle with herbs
You can also cook in the evening curd casserole or curd souffle. The casserole is tender, airy and very piquant, thanks to the basil and paprika added to it.
- Cottage cheese – 400 g
- Cheese – 200 g
- Egg – 3 pcs.
- Basil, cilantro, parsley – ½ bunch
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Dry paprika – optional
- We wash the greens and leave to drain in a colander.
- In the meantime, beat the eggs and three grated cheese.
- We mix cottage cheese, eggs, cheese in a blender bowl and beat. Then chop the greens and add it to the curd mixture, season with pepper, salt. Whip again.
- We take several molds for cupcakes, grease with butter and fill with curd.
- In an oven preheated to 180 degrees, bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
Type 2 Diabetic Breakfast, Sample Menu
Refusing products containing sugar, flour, fatty smoked meats and pickles, you should not think that you will have to forget about good food forever. It just happens to discover its new facets! After all, tasty is not necessarily fatty or cloying.
Combining protein with a small amount of carbohydrates and even less healthy fats for breakfast, a diabetic keeps sugar at the right level without raising it. Remember that potatoes are not considered a useful vegetable, as its glycemic index is very high!
The necessary ratio looks like this: half of the plate is filled with vegetables (with or without heat treatment) or fruits, and the other part 50:50 with lean meat or cottage cheese and slow carbohydrates – brown rice, buckwheat, baked potatoes in a peel.
Brown Rice with Vegetables
Type 2 diabetic breakfast can start with a small portion of brown rice with vegetables, 50 g steamed chicken breast and fruit salad.
- To do this, we need to pour 2-3 tbsp. salt the cereals with water per centimeter, add salt and, half-finished on low heat (about 20 – 25 minutes, unpolished rice is cooked 2 – 2.5 times longer than usual), add 3-4 tbsp. frozen vegetable mix. Green peas, corn, green beans and broccoli.
- Cook for another 10 minutes until the liquid is absorbed. Season with soy sauce and a drop of vegetable oil. Instead of the last, you can add 1 tsp. walnuts – this will add spice to the taste, and the dish will make it more nutritious.
- Separately, in a double boiler, prepare a piece of chicken or fish fillet. Sprinkle the prepared meat with lemon juice, salt. Serve with a side dish of rice with vegetables.
Fruits for breakfast will not hurt type 2 diabetics. It’s best to make a salad.
Cut into slices ½ sour apple, kiwi, peach. Dressed with natural yogurt and you’re done!
Also, instead of a traditional fruit salad, you can make a smoothie. We combine the same ingredients and send to the blender bowl. Absolutely natural drink without sugar is ready!
Poached Eggs with Bread
To do this, you will need 2 eggs, which we will boil in 1 liter of water with the addition of 2 tsp. vinegar 9%.
- Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat to a minimum and gently break one egg into it first. We make sure that the protein does not spread, for this we create a funnel with a spoon, so it turns out to collect around the yolk.
- Cook for no longer than 2 minutes, and then get out with a slotted spoon, blotting a drop of water from below with a napkin. We also prepare the second one. Salt before serving.
We complement the meal with a green salad, in which we combine our favorite greens: from iceberg salad to bell peppers, from chicory and lettuce to fresh cucumbers.
Seasoning such a variety can be optionally lemon-oil dressing with the addition of mustard, or you can simply limit yourself to a drop of vegetable oil.
Avocado sorbet for breakfast
Type 2 diabetics can eat sweets, but in extremely limited quantities and certainly without sugar. Therefore, we recommend trying to make sweet sorbet from avocado.
This unusual dessert can rightfully be considered one of the options for vegan ice cream.
- Avocado – 3 pcs.
- Orange – 3 pcs.
- Stevia or Agave Syrup – to taste
- Three oranges on a fine grater – now we need zest from them.
- Separately squeeze juice out of them.
- We peel the avocado from the skin, get the seeds. We need very ripe fruits! In the store, check them for softness.
- We put in the blender bowl the pulp of avocado, zest with three oranges, their juice, add stevia and beat until smooth. We try for sweetness – it should turn out quite sweetly. Remember that frozen will disappear!
- We shift it into a flat plastic container with a lid, close it and put it in the refrigerator for at least 3 to 4 hours.
The real fruit sorbet is ready!
You can add cocoa to the same recipe. Get chocolate diabetic ice cream!
As you can see, even with such an unpleasant disease as diabetes, breakfast can turn out to be useful and tasty not only for a diabetic, but also for other family members!